Sunday, February 7, 2010

Genesis 14:22-24


Genesis 14:22-24
22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23 that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, 'I made Abram rich.' 24 I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share."

Observation:
Before this proposal from the King of Sodom, Abram meets Melchizedek, King of Salem who was a priest of the MOST HIGH. Many believe that Melchizedek was a type of Christ. Melchizedek possessed both positions as priest and king which is prophetic to the positions Christ would hold.. but as the high priest and the king of kings. Once Melchizedek blesses Abram saying, "Blessed be Abram by God MOST HIGH", it seemed as though Abram realized that the God that has made these promises was God Most High. It seemed to all click since even Pharaoh gave reverence to Abram. (during that time the gods of Egypt were considered powerful since Egypt was very wealthy and prosperous.) The fact that Abram chose to give tenth of everything he had to Melchizedek showed that Abram trusted him. Afterwards, King of Sodom makes his proposal to take his goods. Abram refuses to give King of Sodom any credit for what God has provided.

Application:
I've noticed that there are moments when I give credit to myself. There are moments when I talk with nonbelievers and they praise me for what I do or how I handle certain situations, but by God's grace, I'm realizing that I need to point upwards and not to myself. I know that I would not be who I am in God's grace without Him. Everything that I am is because of God and God only. Even with nonbelievers, I can't just let it slide and slowly grow in pride. I'm not who I was because of my years of practice or works. It was solely because of God.

Prayer:
Hey God,
I want to thank you for all the things you've been doing in my life. You are so faithful in even the little things. Remind me to give you credit. Humble me and break me til all I have and know is Your love for me and how I can serve you with all my heart. I am nothing without you. Lord you have said in Matthew 4:4 that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. It's true. You are the sole provider of all my needs. Help me to praise you moment to moment with my life.

Thanks Jae for recommending me to do this. This will help document my one on ones with God.

5 comments:

  1. SOAP.
    I do this with my sunday school 2nd grade kids...
    This is a really great devotional reading method....
    Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does the s stand for? Sermon? Saying? Sight? Spirit? Hahahahahahahahaha I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm goIng to call it soap from now on even though I don't know whatthe s stands for. It'll be like actually soap to wash all the filth. Jesus is my soap hat I want to keep on for the rest of my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOAP stands for: Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer hahaha.

    Yea it's really great when you read with the intention of Journaling in this way. At least for me, it makes me pay more attention and focus on what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm just read it. Yea I totally resonate with that, I tend to allow myself to get full of myself and think that I am so great because I do this or I do that, and in that moment of self praise, I take away from what is rightfully God's. So difficult to let go of myself and let God do his thing...

    ReplyDelete