Sunday, April 18, 2010

SOAP


Scripture:
Numbers 14:17-24
 17 "Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared: 18 'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.' 19 In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now."
 20 The LORD replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked. 21 Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the LORD fills the whole earth, 22 not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times- 23 not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it. 24 But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it.

Observation:
As the Lord has promised through Moses about the promise land, twelve men were selected to go and check it out.  When the twelve returned, ten of them were impressed by the size of their enemies.  This caused the rest of the israelites to doubt God.  They started to grumble against God and Moses and Aaron.  They hated the fact that they were stuck in the desert and blamed God for bringing them out of Egypt.  Two men, Caleb and Joshua were the only men who were impressed by the size of their God and knew it could be accomplished with God's power.  Even though God showed them through many many many miracles, the people refused to believe that God was able to.   The israelites then wanted to stone the two and moses and aaron for bringing them out of Egypt.... the very thing they prayed for.....

Application:
Application is to be like Caleb.  Wholeheartedly trusting in God through this desert.  By trusting in God, He provides the best and fastest way out.  By going with the spirit, there's more freedom.  The Israelites did not believe that God can do it and because of their doubt they were stuck in the desert for 40 years.

Prayer:
Father, a lot of us are caught in this cycle of blaming you for everything.  Help us to remain faithful and to see that you are not the one at fault.  You have done nothing wrong.  The only one at fault is I.  The fact you have saved us from eternal damnation is enough me to surrender all that I have... which already belongs to you in the first place.  Your grace is enough for me to follow and to obey.  Your love on the cross and taking the eternal punishment that I deserve for my sins, is enough for me to give my life to you. 

I don't expect blessings.  I don't expect miracles or healings or even manna falling from the sky.  I don't expect you to use me powerfully.  I don't expect you to make me rich or famous.  I don't expect anything but to walk with you without expectations.  To love you without condition just as you love me unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment